Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Days Seven and Eight.

Well, I have had wireless at my host house for the past week, then all of the sudden, it stopped working! I don't know whats going on with that, but for now, I'll be using the school's internet to email and blog. That is why I missed yesterday. Luckily, it was a pretty unexciting day. I went to my school (Pozniaky) and got everything ready for school today. I teach from 9 am- 1 pm. I thought it would be a long day, but I teach eight different times, with 2 opening and 2 closing sessions, so the four hours fly by. These are 3 of the kids in my second homeroom. They are in Kindergarten 2. From left to right there is Masha, Teacher Anna (they can't say KayAnna, and Anna is common in the Ukraine, so that is my new name), Vlad and Dasha.


In the morning, I teach Pre-Language and Kindergarten 1. This little boy is only 3- he's in my homeroom, and his name is Andrey. Today I only had two Pre-Language little boys, so it was kind of awkward teaching. The lady on the left is Inna- she speaks English amazingly well, and is our coordinator for the morning teachers (Jessica and I).


SPE's (Synchronized Play Episodes) are used to teach the kids English. There are six different sections- games, kitchen, arts and crafts, shop, drama and gym. I'm teaching kitchen and arts and crafts, of course, so the kitchen is my homeroom for the next few weeks. This is it- out of all of the schools, its the most well stocked.

For my arts and crafts lesson today, I made pet rocks! They came out pretty cute, I think, and the kids liked them. It's hard, because the object of the lesson is not the product, but rather the speaking, so I never really finished the craft- I'd have to rush to put it together at the end. It was all kind of a blur.

This is the time out chair. When they speak Russian too much, or are naughty, they have to sit in this chair until they feel like they can come back and participate. It's hard, because one of the boys, Kuzma, I would have liked to strap to that chair. He was such a pain, and would not cooperate. He'll learn though- as well I.


It was a good day of teaching. I actually really enjoyed talking to the kids and teaching them (I was very nervous as to how it would go). Hopefully I'll keep on enjoying it for the rest of the semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment