Monday, September 21, 2009

Days Twenty-Six, Twenty-Seven and Twenty-Eight

On Saturday, the Angel Moroni was placed on top of the Kiev temple. Because of Ura's wedding, I didn't think I would be able to go. But, it turned out that we went before the reception.



Anna, Jessica and I. I ran into almost my whole group here. I didn't realize how badly we stick out until I saw from the outside. We look like a pack of lost sheep.


While I added the pictures in the right order, they of course upload backwards. I guess you can watch Moroni descending.

Over 600 members gathered together,


watching intently as Moroni was lifter through the air.

The spire was just put on the temple on Friday- they wasted no time in placing Moroni.

Before they lifted the Moroni, there was a devotional of sorts. Being entirely in Russian, I have no idea what was said.


Joseph Smith was a popular topic though, as they showed a video of him- speaking in Russian. It almost made me laugh.
This is the area around the temple. It was the most beautiful day.

Maria, Victor, Cola, David and Zenia- half of the Vashchenko family.

Tanya and I outside of the temple.


Now you get to see Moroni up close and personal.
Of course, the wedding pictures are backwards as well. They had fireworks at the very end!
I almost caught the bouquet-

but Tanya was the lucky one! (Darn it! Haha)
It was really cold- we spent most of the time wrapped up in blankets.
The recpetion area looked out over the Dneiper. It was beautiful.
Ura and Marina (sp?) doing the cake deal.

Apprantly it's normal to have Vegas style dancers at wedding receptions.

I think I'm falling in love with Kiev.

First dance.
Their greeting area- I loved her flowers.

Sunday, I went to the Botanical Gardens. They are in the Western part of Kiev.
Throughout the gardens there are a lot of old buildings that the Monastary used to use. There is still a functioning Monastary there.
This is looking towards the east, across the Dneiper. The blue church tower is from either a Russian or Ukrainian Orthodox church. There are both in the gardens.
This well is from 1711. Don't drink the water.
The inside of these churches are even more beautiful than the outside. My lack of a head scarf was disrespectful enough- taking a picture may have caused a monk to get violent.

I'm starting to really learn to appreciate what Ukraine has to offer. I'm learning to really love it here. It's finally turning into fall here- I could see my breath this morning! It's wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment