Monday, October 5, 2009

Days Thirty-Three to Forty-Two.

The following post (or should I call it a book?) covers my time in Vienna, Dresden and Budapest. Since I was in Prague for three days, I thought that it deserved it's own post, not to mention this one is unbeleivably long. I wish that I could transfer my memories into everyones heads, because these pictures don't do these cities justice. Alas, I beleive that is impossible. Enjoy.

Vienna

St. Stephen's cathedral. The inside of the church was even more impressive, but sadly my camera decided to stop working once we got inside (that seemed to happen at the most inconvienent moments throughout the entire trip).



There were so many of these people pretending to be statues. It's so creepy.



The original bakery/creamery that served the Royal Family.



Just hanging out in vienna.



An archaeological dig of a Roman brothel. That was how the Roman Soldiers were paid- with tokens to brothels, and the excessive amount of those tokens at this site is what leads them to label this as a brothel site.



In front of the stables for the famous Spanish show horses. Those are the stallions that are born black or brown, and then turn white as they mature. Yes, Mom and Dad, my yearning for a horse has only increased as I've gotten older. I wanted to jump into the stables and steal one, but I thought that might be slightly illegal.



Genevieve, me and Nikki



The Gardens in the palace courtyards were really incredible. The palace itself is enormous- each new King would build a new "wing" for their family. Apparantly the old ones weren't big enough for them.



Anna and I in Vienna.


Dresden

Anna and I.



A few of us outside of a beautiful lake/pond on the edge of the city.



An army of little children! How creepy is that?



We're Knights- I wish! (It was like stepping into A Knights Tale).



These gardens are from a fairy tale. I didn't know they actually existed in real life.



TJMaxx?! In Dresden?! Too bad I didn't have time to actually go in, but I was quite excited to see it, as was Genevieve.



An incredible mosiac of all of the Kings. Of course, King Augustus was the most prominant. Besides being a womanizer, he was also known as August the Strong, because of his exceptional strength.



The trees look like a painting. I was in love.



A fountain depicting.. well, I have no idea what, to be completely honest. I suppose I could have made something awesome up, and you wouldn't be any the wiser. Isn't it beautiful though?



Dresden was a very unique place. I loved the artwork and architecture- it's all Baroque style.



A peice of the original Frauenkirche. In 1945, Dresden was bombed and almost 90% of the city was destroyed by the Allied Forces. They finished an entire rennovation of the city by 2006, which is why all of the buildings are black- they used as many of the original peices as possible, which were all burned by the fire that swept through the city.



The Dresden Frauenkirche ("Church of Our Lady").



Our tourguide talked about King Agustus the whole time. I guess he was quite the man- he was rumored to having fathered over 300 children. On the left is part of his palace, and to the right is his favorite mistress' palace. The archway/walkway was built so they could see eachother without leaving their buildings.



The Picture Gallery, from the outside. I guess it is what Dresden is most famous for.



This was from one of our stops on the drive to Dresden. It was such a perfect day.




What an incredible trip. I know there is an excessive amount of pictures, but I took close to 400 the whole trip, so I really did do some serious narrowing down (even though it doesn't seem like it).

Budapest

An archaeological dig- it made me think of my former Archaeology class, so I felt I should add it to my entourage of photos.



This was my favorite area. I want to live there.



View of the parliament building from the upper half of Budapest. It was incredible.



A beautiful castle building. I honestly am not sure exactly what it is. Tours are hard, because you can never remember everything (or much of anything).



George Washington, in Hungary? We all thought it was just someone who looked just like him, but it really is George Washington. Go Founding Fathers.



Part of the group in front of this statue that has no face. It was creepy, but if you touch it's finger it's good luck.



Turner and Italy on one sign. I thought it was slightly ironic how they happened to be together on a sign on the one day I was in Hungary.



A twenty-four hour timer! Good thing Princess Jasmine wasn't traped in this one.



This was on an old deserted building- I'm not sure what it's about, but it was colossal.



I swear this car looked smaller in real life. It really did look like I could just pick it up. Good thing it didn't have an alarm.



While the Ukrainians use what look like old army barracks for their playgrounds, the Hungarians know how to make them. It was so quaint.



"I'm just spending my day in Hungary. No big deal, really." That's what I kept thinking the whole time I was there. It was quite the experience.



Lynsie, Emily and I.



While most of our group went to the mineral pools, I opted against paying $24 to take a bath, and instead explored Budapest. This was a beautiful old church that we saw from the distance and decided to walk to.



I'm a Spartan. Or something extremely muscular and manly.



You see the dog that's on the little person's head? He was everywhere- on trashcans, signs, houses- you couldn't escape (kind of like Sirius Black- that's what it reminded me off).



This was a beautiful monument for the soldiers of Hungary that lost their lives when Hungary gained it's independence. It was part of a beautiful park that people were walking their (non wild) dogs in, running or sleeping (Ann, Emily and I fell asleep on the grass for an hour!).

No comments:

Post a Comment