Thursday, November 12, 2009

Days Seventy-Nine to Eighty-One.

Anna, Emily, Genevieve and I decided to explore some of Kiev, since we had the time. It's shocking to me to observe the difference between how we view the city now versus the first week we were here. The metro was terrifying and confusing, it was impossible to get anywhere without calling someone for help. Now, we know how to cross lines on the metro (luckily there are only three different lines- blue, red and green. Despite this, all Metro signs in the city are green. I find it quite curious) and walk around the city without getting completely lost.

Kiev is now almost friendly feeling, at times. Like today, when a random guy came up and took a picture of all four of us, without us asking. Or when we thought these two guys were following us, but it just turned out that one of them lives in Canada now and wanted to talk to us because he heard us speaking English. Or when Lynsie and I were on the Metro late tonight, all squished in like sardines, and these two young guys tap me on the arm and say, 'sit girls', and then give us their seats, even though they still didn't get off for at least four more stops. Yesterday on the trolley bus, the person who goes around checking to make sure everyone has a pass or you can buy a ticket from him, came towards me. Now, it sometimes works to just say "preznoy" (which means "pass"). I almost always just take mine out to show them though, because they will oftentimes make me even after I say preznoy. He was a cute little old man, (which is unusual becuase they're usually grumpy old ladies who look like they want to slap me). He walked right up to me, took my hand, patted it, smiled, patted my hand again and then just walked on to the next person. I'm not sure what it was all about, but it made my day. I love nice people.

Kiev is the prime place to go if you want to see really random things. Like this rainbow arch over the road,



or a birdhouse on a tree in the middle of the city.



Raindrops.



I was really pleased to be in the picture. Though it looks like it's midnight, it's really only about 5:30 pm.



It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. It's so pretty downtown lately- lights are coming out and decorations are going up.

No comments:

Post a Comment