Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Il Quattro di Luglio.

There's no better way to appreciate what you have than by leaving everything you take for granted behind.

What do I miss about home? Well, let me tell you:

I miss sinks that drain.
And floors that don't turn my feet black.
People who hate sponges as much as me. Seriously people, it's like a metropolitan for bacteria!
I miss Almond Milk. Arbitrary, perhaps, but my digestive system is not thanking me for my increased dairy consumption.
Green grass. Green leaves.
I miss laws against smoking inside. Hello, lung cancer.

I even painted my nails red to show my American pride.

I think I succeeded in finding the ugliest sheets at the market, no?


Layne and I got our craftiness on. Leftover twine + clothespins + pictures = pure joy.

We bought every packet of ground beef in the store to make these babies. And every packet of buns.



To celebrate being American, we had a good old fashioned American BBQ.
Apparently Liz and I were the only ones who got the memo to wear red, white and blue. Alas, I think we looked dashing.

To be fair to Italy, there are many things I will miss when I am gone. Including:

Public transportation.
Mozerella di Buffala. Oh mamma, it's incredible.
Markets. I love markets.
Incredible architecture everywhere.
Pici. The pasta of Siena. It's fresh. And delightful.
Fresh vegetables.
Fields and fields of yellow wheat.
Birkenstocks in every color, shape and size.

The list could go on, but I'll spare you. Happy fourth of July.

3 comments:

  1. too true. we should make these lists every day, and print more pictures for our twine. I miss car rides, power outlets that work, air conditioning, and larger mattresses. I love fresh fruit, dunkable cookies, italian movies, and convenient places to sit and read a book. and magnum bars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, how did you manage to get such nice hands? Mine never look nice with nail polish. It draws far too much attention to them. Yours, on the other hand, look fabulous with bright, attention-getting polish. Second, how do you always look so cute? Seriously, you always look so cute and fashionable. Your hair, your clothes, everything! I'm glad you're having fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look awesome and so happy!! I think you were meant to travel the world! I'd love to visit Italy!!

    ReplyDelete