Friday, July 22, 2011

Firenze.

Now I know why the Senese don't like Firenze:

The Duomo.

Ponte Vecchio.

Ponte Vecchio- this used to be a fish market and is the only bridge that Hitler didn't destroy in WWII because he thought it was so beautiful. It was also where the Medici family had an escape route.

Piazza della Republica. They say all roads lead here, because it was at one point the governing point of Tuscany.

Il Davide! I snuck this picture even though the worker at L'Academia kept yelling, NO FOTO! NIENTE FOTO! I did good for not looking through my camera, if I do say so myself.

Interesting fact: Michelangelo, it is said, carved Il Davide disproportionately because it's supposed to be viewed from the lower left-hand corner.

Arno River.

Gli Uffizi.

Another illegally taken photo of the planning of Gli Uffizi.

I may have taken a lot of illegal photos.

A portion of Gli Uffizi, outside. Just to prove I was there.

Look closely at the statues head. Creepy, eh?

Piazza della Signorina. And a teeny tiny ape. Che carino.

There are so many charming aspects of Firenze, especially when you aren't surrounded by a trillion tourists. Layne and I were crazy enough to leave on a 6:40 am bus and beat the crowds. It was worth it, despite the fact that we were then on our feet the entire day. Seriously, we didn't get to her friends apartment until almost 11:00 pm. A hard floor never felt so good to sleep on.

I bought a flowery skirt.
I saw a lot of incredible art.
I ate a delicious sandwich.
I found Coca-Cola Light for only 70 centessimi.
I got a leather journal.
And a few other leather things.
Like a red messenger bag.
And some leather sandals.
You're only in the leather capital of the world once, right?
I met Mo, a friend of Layne who owns a leather shop and who gave me a sweet deal.
Mo bought us gelato.
And then we watched a street performer.
I had a random conversation with (and in!) Italiano on the stairs of the duomo.
Then again the next day.
I think I'm actually learning Italian, albeit just a teeny bit.

I love Firenze.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful post. It reminds me why Firenze is and always will be my italian home, the place my heart gravitates to when I'm far away from it. So glad we could experience it together. so glad you didn't follow her advice (NO FOTO)and whipped that sweet camera out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you showed me around! And told me all of the sweet history of this city. I love your random wealth of knowledge :) Insegnami tutto!

    ReplyDelete