Sunday, June 26, 2011

Preparing for...

...Il palio!

I thought I had a basic comprehension of how big of an event this was for Siena. But, I had no idea. There are 17 contrade in Siena, but only 10 compete in the palio. Whatever contrada your parents are a part of, you inherit. No matter where you move, you don't change contrade. The contrade is who you are. You live to support it.



This particular contrade, la onda, are displaying their colors here in la piazza del campo.

Perks of living in the center: Layne and I woke up today to the sound of drums echoing through the city streets. The people in la onda were having a procession around the center of Siena, dressed up in these traditional costumes. It's one of the highest honors to be a drummer in these processions. It was really quite beautiful.



This is la chiesa di San Domenico. It's what you see when you step out of our front door. Well, usually you see tourists first.

I used to think church bells rang every hour, at the very most. Living in Siena has taught me otherwise. Apparently, they ring on the hour...12 till the hour...34 past the hour...oh and whenever a contrada is having a celebration. The other night (literally- 10 pm), they rang for 15 minutes. I promise- I timed it.

At least it makes you feel like you're living inside a Disney film.


No comments:

Post a Comment