Thursday, June 16, 2011

Italia

Yesterday was, for many reasons, a particularly hard day. I arrived in Siena, and while sitting with Layne she reminded me that Italy was not a fairy tale place like so many people envision.

There are many poor people. There is a lot of corruption. There is a lot of disunity.

Despite this, Italy is still a truly enchanting place. I am so grateful I have been able to come here. I'm especially grateful that I have been able to spend time traveling with my Mom and Dad.

A few pictures from our trip:

This medallion is from Ercolano. This town, called Herculaneum, was destroyed, like Pompeii, from Mt. Vesuvius. But, instead of being covered in ashes, it was covered in mud so everything is preserved much better. It was really beautiful. It always amazes me how humans have been creating the most beautiful art for thousands of years, and I, in such a drastically different world, am able to appreciate their work.


Some bugainvillea- it is so beautiful, and everywhere in Italy, especially southern Italy.


Stopping for a break while driving the Amalfi Coast.
Thank you, Dad, for being such an amazing driver. I know I complained some but... bravo.

In Vietri Sul mare. I was hoping to take this back on the plane...


The artist himself at work. Mom and I had a wonderful talk with him. His father is the one who made my music box, and they are one of, if not the last, shop open that specializes in this intricate woodwork.

This is the Tomb del Radentore. It's a beautiful hike that meanders through the hills. There were lots of sheep and cows joining us on the hike.

Finally met Anna, who I was named after.

Daring the imposing precipices of rock.


Mom and Dad in Itri. It was such a quaint town. And, getting in touch with my inner Roman.

Messing with my exposure. I thought it came out pretty beautiful. Ancona is truly a beautiful city, despite what Lonely Planet says.

In Ercolano. If I'm not mistaken, I do believe this is a 2,000 year old toilette.


What a wonderful family. Christiana, Chiara, Lucia and Sergio. I'm so grateful that I now know people in Italy that I could go to if I never needed anything.


Sunsets are one of my favorite things, and this topped most I've seen. Italy is a wonderful place with so much to offer, truly, la vita e' bella.

It's appalling how far behind I am with my blog. Alas, I have been busy going to Pisa, Cinque Terre, Luca and Pistoia! Oh and Siena, of course. Due to these excursions, this blog was completed over a period of days, hence the disorderly order of comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment