Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day One.

After flying from Salt Lake to Chicago, Chicago to Dusseldorf and Dusseldorf to Kiev, I arrived to my final destination, thouroughly beaten. It was a day of firsts- my first time through customs, my first time in Europe, my first time being surrounded by people who don't speak English. Needless to say, it's been quite the overwhelming trip so far. I left Salt Lake at 11:00 am on Monday, and didn't arrive in Kiev at my host families apartment until after 6:00 pm today. Dad, you're a scary driver, but mild compared to those here! We drove on roads that looked like they were barely wide enough for two people, let alone a van. Somehow we made it though. I haven't had a chance to take pictures yet, but once I do I will post them so everyone can see where I live. It's beautiful here. The landscape reminds me of Maine, but the apartment/housing styles are very new to me. My host families apartment has a couple small balconies, lots of stained glass doors and curtains and all the appliances are miniature (compared to American standards). I really like it though, and am so grateful to have arrived safely and been placed in such a kind family. Hopefully by the end of my stay it will feel like home (and I'll be able to understand more Russian so communication won't be so difficult).

1 comment:

  1. Good luck KayAnna! I love you! It's scary in a new place, but you'll grow to love it and learn your way around quickly, I'm sure. (Don't forget, I do have experience in this:) I will try to write often so you're not too homesick!

    ReplyDelete