Friday, March 18, 2011

Il Palio di BYU.

A brief history of: The Palio. This festival is an integral part of Siena's culture. First recorded in 1823, the city's 17 contrade (districts) are represented by a single jockey, ten of whom are chosen to race in the Palio.

Held twice a year, on July 2 and August 16, the contrade prepare for months in an effort to win. The winning contrada is believed to be re-born and it is a huge honor. Despite the months of anticipation, the winner is decided in a roughly 1.5 minute race where the jockeys ride their horses bareback around the perimeter of the main piazza in Siena.

Since we can't all travel to Siena for the real Palio, BYU's Italian classes are split into contrade and we hold a Palio every semester. (This one was particularly exciting for me because, on August 16th, I will have my own contrada to cheer for!)

For the time being, I am contenting myself with...



...singing the theme sing for Drago, my BYU contrada.



Listening to Professor Noble speak.



Eating mediocre Italian food with Layne.



And of course, watching our jockey's duke it out.

Professor Bonomi, the director of the Dante Alighieri school in Siena where I will be interning, has been visiting BYU for the past two weeks. I've had the opportunity to meet with him multiple times. He's a wonderfully kind man and is leaving for Siena soon- the Palio was a nice way to say good-bye, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment