Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Giving thanks.

As Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching, I decided it was about time that I started remembering why I am so lucky to be alive, especially as I am living here in Utah. 

The ability that we have to reason and think is astounding. Because we can think we have created music, literature, politics, economics, art and a number of other methods for making sense of the world. What I wish I understood is why we feel the need to know everything, inundating our lives with current events, school, jobs, research, technology. Breathing? Resting? These seem to be forgotten and looked down upon needs of the human psyche. 

One day, a few of my roommates and I decided to rest. And breath. (Luckily the horrendous Utah Valley inversion was not yet a problem at this point.) And take photos.




I cherish these moments. 


And these, too.

 Addison and I hiked Bald Peak in the beginning of the fall. It was a stormy day and we froze at the top.
However, Addison still managed to take an ad-worthy shot for Tolberone.



We also built a cairn, helping people traverse this exceptionally bald peak.



We passed so many signs warning us of the upcoming dam outlook, we just had to stop. Ha ha. It was worth it though- there was quite a view at the dam outlook.


Our house is not your typical BYU establishment. In lue of a Halloween party, we hosted a communist themed party. I opted to be Rosie the Riveter, because she was a feminist. And feminists were accused of being communists. But I think I really just like her style. David [who is naturally blonde, mind you-he has a shocking amount of makeup on], played a very convincing Chinese communist party member.


Karl Marx, in the 1970's. Good one, Bryce [he's the head editor of the Political Review].


Kurt was Joseph Smith, another historical figure that was accused of being a communist. Here he is giving us a sermon. Convincing, no?


Camping in Slate Canyon. We were too tired to hike very far, and opted for a lookout over the valley. 



Tea and Grace Notes (by Brian Doyle) while camping makes for an ideal moment.


Why is water so beautiful? So transient, so powerful. It really terrifies me, but I love it as art, drawing me in. Temple Square is quite incredible.



Crackers, cheese, apples and a good friend at conference. 



Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment